This is a wonderfully fragrant dish which is not too spicy and is so easy to cook. The finished dish has a lot more sauce than the picture.
Created by Amber Hatcher on April 24, 2016
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 45m
- Total Time: 1h
- Serves: 6
- Category: Main course
- 10 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, or 1 whole chicken (1.5kg / 3.5lb)
- 1 lemon grass stalk, trimmed and lightly bruised
- 8 lime leaves
- 50 grams coconut powder dissolved in 1 cup of hot water or a 400ml can of coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric powder
- 500 millilitres water
- 3 red chillies, cut into 1cm chunks
- 1 medium onion, chopped roughly
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 lemon grass stalks, sliced
- 1/2 inch of galangal, sliced
- 10 candlenuts
- 1 cup water
- 1 inch piece of fresh turmeric (optional), scrape skin off
- Cut the whole chicken into smaller pieces. If using chicken thighs, remove skin and bone and also trim off excess fat.
- Put the spice mixture in a blender or liquidiser until all finely liquidised.
- Put the spice mixture in a large pot together with all the other ingredients, except for the chicken. Bring to boil and lower the heat to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces and bring the sauce back to boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cook for a further 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- Add salt to taste.